Sunday, February 16, 2014

Trekking Trousers and Bright Red Boots

Ireland!

It's been a whirlwind, but I'm so glad we made the journey.  We've been in Dublin for almost two weeks now, and despite a moment of weakness on my part during the middle of last week (I straight up cried while walking down the street in our neighborhood), I'd say the transition has gone fairly well.

*Here's a list of things that I've noticed, accomplished, experienced, learned, etc., so far (In  no particular order):  *Please note that these might sound like major generalizations.  The following is simply from my limited experience as an American - I do not intend to offend anyone.

- It's weird not being able to understand people who speak the same language that I do.  Between the Irish brogue, the different sayings and slang, and the fact that sometimes I think Irish people mumble, I have no idea what they're saying most of the time.  Do they think the same about me?

- Adding money to an account, such as a prepaid phone or train pass, is called "topping up."  You can "top up" online sometimes, or in a shop(pe).

- I think it's so amazing to hear an Irishman speak.  It's still a novelty to me, even after living here almost two weeks.  I was surprised to discover that my way of speaking wasn't very special to them.  I realize that they watch a lot of American programs and get many American visitors, but for some reason I thought I'd be able to connect to people by "telling them about where I'm from." Perhaps we're not that special...

- If you order a sandwich, they'll ask you, "white or brown." White bread or brown bread.

- Many people have said, "Good luck to ye," when saying goodbye.  It's usually when I'd say, "Have a good day."

- I've noticed that not many people wear bright colors.  There's lots of brown, black and grey coats, jackets and boots.  I kind of stick out like a sore thumb, with my bright purple jacket and bright red boots.


Photo credit: http://turtleandrobot.wordpress.com/2012/07/12/gossie-loves-to-wear-her-bright-red-boots/
- Since I don't really know anyone yet, I've noticed that I've been "talking out loud" when walking around.  But I figured that since I have TJ with me, people will think I'm just talking to him.  I don't really care.

- The range of flavors and variety in the grocery stores (shoppes) is amazing.  So new and different to me.  So far, my favorite is hazelnut yogurt.  Yum!

- At Tesco (a grocery shoppe similar to Walmart) they have "Family parking!"  Spaces designated for cars with children, close to the entrance.  Love this!

- You have to pay a one euro deposit for a shopping cart, but the carts at the airport are free.  And there are carts in the shopping mall!  I thought that was so neat.

- I completely understand the expression, "This neighborhood was designed by a drunken Irishman."  Grids are nonexistent.  Here's a map of Raheny, the suburb of Dublin where we live:

Photo credit: http://www.askaboutireland.ie/learning-zone/primary-students/5th-+-6th-class/geography/aspects-of-raheny/map-detective/quick-quiz-rahenys-locati/

- Time is often listed military style, i.e., 15:45.

- I have yet to find coffee creamer here.  Many people drink tea.  Coffee is available, but a lot of people drink instant coffee.  Ew.

- There are companies that offer prepaid electricity.  I know the commercial's jingle already... "Prepaid power.ie, smart control of your electricity!"

- The adjectives that they use are charming to me.  Brilliant, gorgeous, dreadful, etc.  As opposed to cute and awesome, like many Americans.

- In regard to restaurants, you can "stay or take away."  Your food isn't "for here or to go."

- Lots of palm trees and sea gulls in Dublin.  I was pleasantly surprised.

- We can choose the temperature on our microwave.  You have to hit the "900" button if you want to cook on "high."

- We don't have a bathtub in our bathroom.  I realize that's very European, but I miss my baths!

- Most places charge you for shopping bags...about 25 cents.  Everyone here brings their own.  I love that.

- We have three garbage cans.  Black, green and brown.  Green for recycling, brown for compost and black for everything else.  I love that we have a place for our organic waste.  It took a while to get used to not having a garbage disposal, but we really don't need it.

- If you're name is Chrissy, you're "called" Chrissy.

- There's ants in TJ's room.  Not a whole lot, but we're trying to get rid of them.  Ew.

- Baby formula is called "follow on milk."

- Reruns are called "catch-up tv."

- Hiking pants are called trekking trousers.  Hee hee...

- They love sweet chili here.  They use it probably as much as Americans use ranch dressing.

- People walk amazingly fast here!  And they don't really follow any sort of rules in regard to walking in crowds.  One can certainly feel like they're going to get run over while walking downtown or in a park.  You certainly have to be on the defensive while out exploring!

Again, there's my narrow view of how things have been so far.  I've been posting pictures every day on Facebook, but I'm considering posting them on this blog as well for those who are not on Facebook or who aren't TJ's Facebook friend.

Stay tuned...more to come from the Emerald Isle!

Ramble brilliantly and with bright red boots,

The Rambling Richter


No comments:

Post a Comment