Thursday, January 9, 2014

Naked Sundays

Last Sunday I finally followed my physical therapist's advice.  I took a few naked selfies. (Well, I kept my undergarments on over my birthday suit.  I'm a lady, after all...)

Naked Sundays finally became a reality because I'm now well beyond six months postpartum. And like most new moms (I'm guessing), I am not physically where I thought I'd be at this point.

I can't blame my diastasis recti (separation of stomach muscles caused by pregnancy) because I'm working with my physical therapist on exercises to close those muscles so my belly doesn't continue to stick out.  The real reason I'm not back to pre-baby weight?  Up until last week, I haven't been the best about eating right and exercising consistently.  I know that; am well aware.

Perhaps I hoped that what most people were telling me was true, that "the weight will just melt right off if you breastfeed."  Nope.  Or, "Your body holds on to extra weight while you're breastfeeding.  Once you stop, it'll melt right off."  Umm...nope. Perhaps it's because I'm 35 and my metabolism has slowed down.  I knew it would happen.  I just didn't think it would happen so soon. Or that the weather got colder, the holidays came and went, I just had to indulge on my birthday, etc., etc.  Pick an excuse.

Anyway, my family and I are about to embark on a six-month journey to Dublin, Ireland.  I'll be meeting new people and taking lots of photographs.  Somewhere deep down I need to find a little voice that tells me, "Screw it, Chrissy.  You are you, no matter what you look like.  People will like you for who you are."  Either that, or continue to perfect the, "Stick the baby in front of your belly" pics, like these:




In the meantime, I'm going to continue with Naked Sundays as motivation to eat well and work hard when I exercise.  Hopefully I'll be able to see a difference from week to week, per the nudging of my lovely PT guru.

(So ironic - I took my "belly pics" when I was pregnant with TJ on Sundays as well.  These, however, I'm keeping to myself.)

Ramble naked,
The Rambling Richter


2 comments:

  1. Um, so feel your pain on this one Mamma! I am a year out, nearly forty and sooo not where I thought/hoped I'd be either. I think the "problem" is we have always been really thin and petite. We, and others identify us with "the little one". I think, like being overweight, you get comfortable with what you're used to. That said, we're "used" to being thin. I have really tried to change not only my self-image but my perception of beauty and what matters. Being healthy, eating right and exercising...all important but I refuse to starve myself or spend hours away from my family to achieve my 25 year old body. I'm still working on it, both my physique and my attitude about it. After all, confidence is what makes us sexy! ;) XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! "The little one!" Heard it my whole life...until now. And you're right. Confidence is what makes us sexy. You're stunning, my friend. Always have been, always will be. And you have two beautiful children to show for it all. Not a bad trade off. xoxo back at ya!

      Delete